Friday, September 19, 2008

From the Fashion Upstart® - No, I am not on the list…….

Upstart® - Bless my good friend Christie Dinham for her faith in my abilities to work front-of-house at the spring ’09 International Designers Show on September 6. An Upstart® is never considered for the front of anything during New York fashion week, so I lope in and accept my “standing” card from PR agents at the check-in table who carefully avoid eye-contact, and head for the nose-bleed section of the Tent. With each passing year I feel more like a member of that hardy breed – the New York Event Crasher - whose names and faces any PR agent worth their clipboard can spot and snipe at 40 paces.
So yes I was thrilled to work out front. I put on my best “dressed-to-the-nines-but-look-effortless” outfit and headed out into the steamy day ready for anything, except the notorious G train. Anyone acquainted with this green-eyed monster will know that he takes no prisoners and indeed no passengers either. Today he obviously felt the impending wrath of hurricane Hanna in his arthritic cogs and creaked along oblivious to the urgency and panic he raised in the people trapped in his belly



Did I mention that it was a steamy day? Well I arrived at the Devin Tavern feeling sheepish and wilted in line with the rest of the flock till my friend, still delighted to see me, came and rescued me. She set me to work filling up the seats and making sure that I saved the front row for Terry Crews who was expected to roll through with his crew.

I did my best, sans clipboard (which people seem to view as an official sign that you belong in front) and got bottoms in seats. I even showed Terry Crews to the seat I had diligently defended for him.

After seating Ms. J - most definitely not an upstart – in the front row, I seated myself in the 2nd row - since there were only two my upstart rep. remains intact.
Terry Crews & Juanita Grey


The show began with a collection of sleek dresses, separates and swimwear from New York based designer Roger Gary that would not have been out of place at Bryant Park. The man certainly knows how to dress the female form and one bronze baby doll dress in particular was flawless, ready for any fashion week cocktail event that evening.



Rome by Romero Bryan was a little something for the boys - a seriously sexy collection of separates for grown up girls including a fitted blouse in deceptively soft pink satin teamed with a sharp black corseted pencil skirt, the purr was almost audible.



Kae Couture by Kenyatta Williams offered a collection of swimwear that would have been a perfectly at home at Miami Swim. Unusual and experimental shapes seemed to go back to the best inspiration for women’s’ swimwear – the female body.


Megan Crook presented delightfully playful pieces seemingly inspired by the mum who discovers her little girl’s clothes and accessories and plays dress-up. While Herani Ethiopia brought bright fashion from the dark continent with nary a hint of Kente Cloth in sight.
Megan Crook

Herani


Librarians and “school marms” are often overlooked as the purveyors of grandma fashions, bad up-dos and even worse eyewear, Samantha Mark’s collection proved us all wrong. Model after model came down the runway in beautifully made, sweet pea printed dresses and blooming blouses, a-line skirts (pretty slips showing ofcourse), layered blouses, an innovative quilted duster coat, a Sherlock Homes-type tweed cape and a pair of ruffled tweed hot pants that would have made Ms. Jean Brodie blush.



Larry Moultrie debuted his collection of tight printed T’s on a collection of tight men, much to the delight of the girls at the bar.



The man of the hour was definitely Nana Boateng, a sharp-suiter with a knack for creating tailored suits that hug the male from like no other. As Terry Crews - a long-time fan - looked on models appeared in signature bare feet and not-so-signature tribal make-up. Among the highlights was a manly pink suit – I dare you to challenge any guy who pulls it off, surprising details like tuxedo stripes on the in-seam of pants, and a hot red suit that managed not to look like it belonged to a pimp – who else but Nana could make that work?


With Nana’s collection ringing in our eyes we all applauded till the house lights went up. I scouted out my hubby who excitedly got in line for his picture with Terry and mugged for the camera when he got his chance.

We headed outside where Ms. J was holding court, holding forth, and striking poses akin to those seen on ANTM. Next stop the Tent which stood up well to the wrath of Hanna – unlike old man G.

Till next time - Upstart®


No comments: