Tuesday, September 23, 2008

From Clark University to New York Fashion Week

Designer Kenyatta Williams talks to Anastassia Simon
About life after her exciting debut during
New York Fashion Week

New York fashion week is over and done having left visions of stilettos dancing in our heads. While life in the city moves on one Clark Atlanta student reflects on her experiences with me. After making her fashion week debut Kenyatta Williams headed back to class and her normal life as a design student. "It's been crazy, professors have made announcements in class and have been using me as an example" Kenyatta says of her return to classes, "Students have been coming up to me saying they're inspired by my work." It's not only her beautiful work that serves as an inspiration, but also her ability to balance university life with her emerging design career. "My teachers have been really cool about things, letting me miss class and getting assignments in late because they understand that I'm working to achieve my dreams" Kenyatta continues. For now her dreams include not only finishing school with possible plans to study abroad, but to also follow up with the connections she made during fashion week in an attempt to further her career. "I got to talk to a few stylists and someone who is interested in investing. It's just been great" she adds with more enthusiasm than a freshman going on spring break. Kenyatta enjoyed her time in New York so much that she's currently considering moving to the city, as soon as the money starts rolling in. She's also already enjoying her first tastes of fame, " A friend of mine recently told me that she told her friend about me going to fashion week and her friend was like 'Oh KAE Couture?' and she doesn't even live near campus. I couldn't believe she'd heard of me." With some many great opportunities on the horizon, including showing in London next season, Kenyatta had better get used to people being familiar with her and her brand

No comments: